June 22, 2009

Where is Gov. Sanford?

UPDATED (6:11 PM/June 24, 2008)

Gov. Mark Sanford was 'found'. As most of us now now, he was not hiking on the Appalachian Trail, instead, Gov. Sanford pitched his tent on the Argentinian 'trail'. And the saga ends like this, with a statement from Gov. Sanford:

"And so the bottom line is this, I -- I've been unfaithful to my wife. I developed a relationship with a -- which started out as a dear, dear friend from Argentina. It began very innocently, as I suspect many of these things do, in just a casual e-mail back and forth, in advice on one's life there and advice here."


A statement issued by his wife:

"When I found out about my husband's infidelity I worked immediately to first seek reconciliation through forgiveness, and then to work diligently to repair our marriage," she said in her statement. "We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.

"During this short separation it was agreed that Mark would not contact us. I kept this separation quiet out of respect of his public office and reputation, and in hopes of keeping our children from just this type of public exposure. Because of this separation, I did not know where he was in the past week."

I guess Gov. Sanford made up his mind about where he wanted to go as it relates to his marriage. Where's that? To Family Court.

That's the last of the Sanford saga on this blog.



UPDATED (9:02 PM)


Ok, TPM is reporting that Gov. Sanford's office isn't confirming to the press that they actually know where he is:

"The office of the Lieutenant Governor, Andre Bauer, is now telling reporters that the governor's office says it's reached Sanford and that he's fine. (Bauer would take over the governor's duties in an emergency.)

But here's the thing: The governor's staff himself doesn't seem willing to confirm that directly to the press.

...In neither of these statements is Sanford's office saying that they've been in touch with him. Indeed, the clear implication is that they haven't been, or presumably they'd say they have.

In fact, it's unclear how closely the office even knows the guv's whereabouts. If it did, why the need to track his cellphone location? And if he told his office, why didn't he tell his wife."

This has now turned into a mystery.


UPDATED (6:26 PM):

The Daily Kos is reporting that Gov. Sanford's whereabouts is now known. As per The States,

"Sanford’s office told the lieutenant governor’s office Monday afternoon that Sanford has been reached and he is fine, said Frank Adams, head of Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer’s office on aging."

It is good to know that he's okay physically.

***************************************************

The Associated Press is reporting that Gov. Mark Sanford has been missing for days and nobody knows of his whereabouts (well, his family doesn't and his staff is not commenting).

As per the AP, "First lady Jenny Sanford told The Associated Press her husband has been gone for several days and she doesn't know where. She said she was not concerned. Jenny Sanford said the governor said he needed time away from their children to write something".

I do hope that Gov. Sanford is safe.

No comments: